The “Unknown Aircraft of Kea”.
The cockpit includes the pilot’s seats still in good condition.
Divers Dimitri Galon and Basil Mavros at the dive line buoy ready to descend.
Fore section of the fuselage, with the port side propeller visible.
The huge roof top hatch opening as seen from above.
The main fuselage section of the aircraft.
The first team of divers are boarding the support vessel “Benitos” under adverse weather conditions.
The end tail wing of the aircraft poses in the mystic light of the sea bottom.
Divers attach a marker line on the machine gun section.
The nasal engine and cockpit; the engine is drooping downwards but still attached to the fuselage.
The nasal engine partially detached, the prop remains in position.
The tail wing is covered by marine growth.
View of the main cabin area of the aircraft. The cockpit entrance is visible and by its side the seat of the radio operator station.
The rooftop large hatch is the point of entry into the cabin area, here illuminated by two divers.
The point of entry into the aft section of the aircraft. Beyond this point on the port side is the gyroscopic mechanism of the roof-top machine gun.
The instrument panel in the cockpit of the aircraft is fully covered by benthic organisms.
The machine gun at the aft section of the fuselage, seated on a gyroscopic base; the small gunner’s windscreen is also evident.
The starboard side engine. Its prop (as also on the other two engines) is intact, a condition indicating that all engines were stopped during the delicate sea landing manoeuvre.
Basil Mavros carefully cleans, with a soft sponge, the tag where the Aircraft Identification Number ought to be.
The tag bearing the Aircraft Identification Number, a.k.a. Werknummer. Unfortunately due to a prolonged stay under water, the production numbers are no longer legible.
The interior of the main cabin and the partially open door entrance to the cockpit.
The roof top hatch cover through which probably the crew of the aircraft managed to escape, is laying at the sea bottom on the port side of the fuselage.
George Vandoros videotapes the cokpit area.
The last videotaping sequences before ascending to the surface.
During the ascent of our second dive team, Leigh Bishop, a member of the Britannic 2009 Mission, took this picture from the helicopter piloted by Pim de Rhoodes, the Captain of R/V Cdt. Fourcault. (Copyright Leigh Bishop).
The unknown aircraft of Kea rests on sandy bottom covered by the crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea.
The small area before the machine gun where are visible lower parts of the weapon and its base. To the left noticeable are four rifles standing up on their racks. The second is possibly a machine gun.
The radio direction finder and the auxilliary compass in the main cabin of the aircraft. Clearly visible are the letters N (North) and W (West).
The wireless radio transmitter and receiver, probably a FuG III, have fallen down on the workspace of the radio officer.
Yiannis Protopappas searches the cockpit area where he identified the steering wheels fallen onto the pilot seats.
The nasal engine covered by benthic organisms.
In the cockpit, the starboard side steering column is visible between the pilot seat and flight instrument panel.
The fuselage and the remaining unbroken glass windows are covered by sea growth making a multicolored, vivid tapestry.
The tail wing was the first part which our team encountered during the initial dive.
On the port side pilot’s seat the steering wheel is visible, less its wooden 3/4 rim which has disintegrated in the sea water environment.
Divers George Vandoros (left) and Yiannis Protopappas holding the line at the six meter decompression point.
A Junkers 52 in Greece, ca. 1941. (DG Collection).
The main cabin of the aircraft.
Explanation of the cabin area instruments (German terminology), to be compared with the previous picture.
German paratroopers prior to boarding for Leros island during September 1943. In the background the Ju 52 is visible. (Photo Bauer, Bundesarchiv – Bild – 101I-527-2348-21).
The instrument panel of the cockpit.
Diagram of the Ju 52 instrument panel.
Legend of the instrument panel (German terminology).
The MG 15 machine gun of the Kea island aircraft.
Legend of the MG 15 machine gun in “Schusswaffe B-Stand” version (Ju 52 of Kea, German terminology).
September 1943, a German paratrooper boards a Ju 52 which will transport him to Leros island. (Photo Bauer, Bundesarchiv – Bild – 101I-527-2349-04).
The MG 15, a 7.92 mm machine gun, was the main weapon of the Junkers 52 of Kea (B-Stand).
The dive spot
Copyright © 2009 by D. Galon and the S/S Burdigala Project Team